Friday, January 25, 2008

Winterlicious: C5 (Crystal Five) at the ROM

Winterlicious has finally arrived... I so look forward to these fabulous buget meals. We're going to 4 different places, and we're starting off with brand new C5 at the ROM. The kitchen is open concept, the dining room is huge... they need to hang up some art to counteract the echo... I took my camera with me. The pictures aren't the greatest, because I took them without flash... it hurts everyone else's eyes... I'm considerate...

Martinis to start... Maple Leaf for Jason and Purple Haze for me...our bread basket... the butter is flavored each night... this night it was sesame seed...
We had two appetizer choices
Butternut Squash Bisque
or
Calamari Salad, Avocado, Split Black Olive Vinaigrette
We both went with the Calamari, since Jay makes the best butternut squash bisque in the world... It was very interesting and delicious...
Glasses of wine for our main... red for Jay and white for me...
Two choices for our main:
I had Butter Poached Grouper, Shitake Eggdrop Broth ... fab
and Jay went with 72 Hour Sous-Vide Beef Short Rib, Chestnut Potato Mash ... my how divine...
and desert, I had Chocolate Bread Pudding, Parsnip Gelato, Carrot Foam... presentation is very nice... the dessert itself lacked chocolate... it was ok... edible... but definitely missing the wow
Jay had Pecorino Cheesecake, Ginger snap tuile, balsamic gelee ... I couldn't eat it... Pecorino is made with sheep milk... and I can't stand that stuff... but his accompaniments were absolutely fantastic...
cappuccino's to accompany our dessert...
even the sugar bowl was pretty...
Then we headed back home.. Jay made himself amaretto and ginger ale and for me he whipped out a birthday martini... a present that I got from Karolina (one of my super sisters) Belvedere vodka in a shaker for one...
then I sipped, blogged, and watched Harry Potter... good times

No comments: