Tuesday, June 23, 2009

it's a gourmet grocery store not a supermarket...


this past Sunday, Jay and I trekked all the way to North York to check out Mark McEwan's newest venture, his grocery store McEwan. It is all the hype in the foodie circle. It was only the 3rd day of business... but my expectations were high.... so a few observations.

He has plenty of staff and I mean plenty, each cash register has a bagging person, there is a few on the floor stocking, restocking, and re-aligning products on the shelves constantly. It is very clean and welcoming.

The produce section needs more organics and I expected to see more exotic types of produce as well.

He definitely needs more variety in prepared meals, but it might be possible that the store didn't expect the turn out it received. I would like to see double baked potatoes and mac and cheese without blue cheese. The sandwiches in the open sandwich fridge need to be saran wrapped, the brown paper and twine is nice but people lean over them, pick them up, and generally breathe and shed their skin flakes all over them... gross... as well even if I wasn't so cheap I would never pay $9.95 for an eggplant sandwich...

I also didn't like his containers for aiolis... I prefer a squeeze bottle instead of a square dish... However all the containers look biodegradable, so a plus for you Mark McEwan.

There is a lot of products with McEwan brand stamped on it... his posh version of President's Choice :)

Nothing in his dessert section tempted me... not even the banana mousse cake, or the chocolates.

However if I ever have a craving for some red meat, this is the place I'll come to buy my steak. $34.95/lb.. I know whoa!... but trust me it will be totally worth it... that was one gorgeous cut of meat...

But at this time Jay and I don't see ourselves making a trip to McEwan's anytime soon again... the store is too expensive overall and too far away. It definitely has an elitist feel to it, and that in itself will appeal to some.

If you're going to visit and plan on taking the TTC, take the 162 bus from Lawrence East station, you'll pass through one of the richest, exclusive, and beautiful neighborhoods in Toronto... McEwan's store target consumer.

No comments: