Sunday, July 5, 2009

celebrating our 11th...

it's actually on the 9th, but we're both working, so we celebrated a touch early... I made reservations way in advance at AGO's (Art Gallery of Ontario) restaurant Frank...The restaurant decor is very simple, some say cafeteria like, but we really liked it. It is clean, uncluttered, spacey, and comfortable. We had the white wine wall on our left...
a glass of water... I was very thirsty...
then a couple of drinks... a Weiland for Jay, nice and lemony and a Negroni for me, wow that was one strong drink... it was like a disinfectant, I think I could have used it as a mouth wash, but like every strong drink I've ever had it got better and better as I was sipping it...
our bread basket... loved the variety...
with sea salt and goat milk butter.... Jason loved the butter... I tasted it and the initial reaction was wow, creamy and very salty, delicious... then I tasted what makes goat butter, goat butter... and I didn't like it anymore... I think Kinga would have enjoyed it...
we ordered a bottle of white... Riesling Dry 07, Cave Spring, ‘Estate’, Beamsville Bench it was described as "classy, starched-shirt feeling", we felt it was delicious, perfect for our meal...
Appetizers:
for Jay "artichoke fritters with Cookstown purple mizuna, oven dried cherry tomatoes, white anchovies, arbequina olives and lemon basil aioli"... yum, yum....sooo good
for me "truffled potato and porcini mushroom perogies, with truffled sour cream sauce and fresh chives"... I didn't taste truffle in my sour cream sauce... but the pierogies were spot on...
Mains:
for me "pan seared halibut with carrot – ginger sauce, sauté of sugar snap and snow peas, purple potatoes and fresh pea shoots"... the sauce was delicate and paired so well with the salty crust on my fish...
for Jay "crisp provimi veal sweetbreads with Yukon gold potato galette, grilled treviso, Niagara golden raisin caper sauce"... Jay polished it off... and I got a taste... very good...
we also shared a basket of "house-cut frites with lemon mayo and apple pear ketchup"... we ordered it just so we could taste the sauces... I really liked the ketchup...
Dessert:
I had "local strawberry basil crêpe with sweetened mascarpone prune and cardamom shortbread".. there was no shortbread on my plate, and the crepes were cool... I thought they'd be severed warm... however the whole dish was saved by the local strawberries... simply unbelievable... I had strawberry fireworks in my mouth...
for Jay "baked lemon pudding served warm with blueberry compote, whipped cream and lemon sugar cookie"... very lemony, very tasty... except for the blueberry compote, I felt it was a tad too sweet...
raw sugar...
for Jay a very foamy cappuccino..
for me... rose white tea...
a sculpture and the kitchen to our right... The kitchen is open concept and it was crazy how quiet it was, we heard no conversation, no sound of dishes, or the noise of clanking pots... the loudest thing was the order printer...
over all we had a very fabulous meal... Frank is definitely a place I want to eat at again...

No comments: