Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Penrose = Disappointment


Today Jay and I decided to go to Penrose Fish and Chips for lunch. This place received a "What's your Toronto?" spot on CTV, and I just kept hearing that this is the joint for the best fish and chips in town.

I forgot my camera so I don't have pictures of the experience, but I found this one on the web.

The best part of the place are the old pictures on the walls.

Lunch was gross.
1. The place is a bit of a dump, could use a fresh coat of paint to say the least.
2. Jay had haddock and chips and I had halibut and chips. Mine was more expensive, and yet the fish portion was half the size of Jay's.
3. It was fried too long.. the batter was dark brown, and it was oily and soggy.
4. Same for the fries, oily and soggy, with a bit of a bitter aftertaste... maybe it's time to change the oil.
5. The place only serves fish and chips... you think they could make the condiments... but you'd be wrong... we got 3 packets of jam sized tartar sauce, and the lemon was actually one of those lemon bottles with that processed lemon juice in it. They're incapable of slicing a real lemon into wedges... that was a letdown.

I think that this restaurant might be the oldest fish and chip shop in Toronto and therefore cool because of it's history, but it's definitely not the best.

We will never go to Penrose again... the fish and chips we had at Chippy's were much better.

No comments: