Sunday, July 8, 2007

Summerlicious 2007: Globe Bistro


Last night was our first Summerlicious venture. My sister Justyna and her hubby Mike joined us. We went to Globe Bistro (124 Danforth Ave). This restaurant was featured on Opening Soon on Food Network, Jay and I really liked what we saw.
The chef of Globe Bistro is really into locally available produce.

Our reservation was at 8:45pm we arrived on time and were seated
promptly. Now this is a beautiful
restaurant, and I was looking forward to my bread basket. I wasn't disappointed, while there was no variety, it was house made sourdough bread served with whipped butter and cilantro humus, very nice. They had a martini list called the Seven Global Sins... lol.. if you haven't guessed yes their martinis are called after the 7 deadly sins, Justyna had Greed and Jason had Pride, Mike went with a nice glass of white wine and I settled for a Belvedere martini straight up with a twist. I even liked their martini glasses wish were slightly curved.

Now for the Globe Bistro Summerlicious Menu:

APPETIZERS:

GLOBE’S DAILY MADE SOUP
FRESH ACCOMPANIMENT
or
ONTARIO GREENS SALAD
SASKATOONBERRY VINAIGRETTE, GREEN APPLE JELLY
or
NIAGARA PROSCIUTTO AND PEACHES
TRUFFLED HONEY, MALDON SALT


MAINS:

OVEN ROASTED DUCK BREAST
PICKLED NIAGARA CHERRIES, RHUBARB RISOTTO CAKE
or
CRISPY SKIN LAKE TROUT
ORGANIC FINGERLINGS, NIAGARA BACON AND SHERRY SAUCE
or
HOUSE MADE TAGLIATELLE
ONTARIO ASPARAGUS, TRUFFLED CREAM SAUCE


DESSERT:

NIAGARA CHERRY COBBLER
VANILLA SEMIFREDDO
or
ONTARIO STRAWBERRIES
BASIL AND BALSAMIC CHANTILLY CREAM

Justyna, Jason and I went with the Summerlicious menu Mike decided to order from the regular one.

To start Justyna and Jason had the prosciutto, I had the daily soup which was asparagus granished with truffle oil and prosciutto crisps, Mike had Baby Hearth of Romaine with roasted garlic parmesan dressing, quail "eggton".

Prosciutto and peaches app was very delicious, peaches were at their perfect sweet peak. The soup was extremely hot, as was my bowl. So much so, that I could actually feel the heat radiating off of it onto my face. I had to put my spoon down and wait for it to cool, or risk burning my tastebuds off. Once I was able to taste my soup I found it very tasty but borderline over-seasoned. Mike's salad looked very nice as well, although he was freaked out by the two tiny quail eggs and gave them away... lol... The tiny quail eggs were battered in something and deep fried.. so delicious.. although overcooked.. the concept was to cut thru the crusty exterior and have the yolk run out onto your lettuce.. sadly they were hard-fried... someone in the kitchen needs more practice...

Before our main course arrived we ordered a bottle of pink wine, Mike was sticking to his white. For the main, Justyna had the trout, Jay had the duck, I went for the tagliatelle and Mike had Georgian Bay Pickerel accompanied with organic wild rice, rainbow swiss chard, smoked tomato and bacon vinaigrette. While our app could have used a touch less salt (well mine anyways) our mains could have used a touch more. Justyna's trout looked delicious, the bacon was a very prominent feature of her plate, a whole handful of bacon bits topped her fish... lol... she enjoyed. As Emeril says "pork fat rules". Jay's duck was interesting, tasted simple and was overshadowed by the humongous risotto cake. The risotto cake was the star of his plate not the duck. It could have used a bit more seasoning but over all very nice. My tagliatelle was house made... cream sauce was so buttery and rich, the only improvement I wish I was offered (but wasn't) would have been some fresh cracked pepper. The presentation of Mikes' pickerel was mouth-watering as well.. too bad he doesn't really enjoy vegetables and greens that much because they were tasty.

For dessert the three of us went with the cobbler and Mike had Shoo-fly Cake - with warm caramel and tootsie roll. The cobbler was made with sour cherries, a good choice, it wasn't too sweet. We all had some of Mike's caramel sauce, and while his dessert looked scrumptious I didn't taste it because ... lol... I know this is silly, but the name freaks me out. He enjoyed it, therefore it must have tasted as good as it looked.

Overall our dinner was a lot of fun. The restaurant was great I can't wait to go there with Jay for the regular menu.

2 comments:

iFred said...

is it pricey?

Lucy said...

the regular menu a bit.. but the summerlicious menu is $35 and it includes an appetizer, main and dessert ... good way to eat nice food and not go broke :)