Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mom's and Dad's birthday dinner

Both of my parents celebrate their birthdays in July, my dad on the 14th and my mom on the 23rd. This year Jay and I decided to take them out to a very upscale restaurant for dinner. We chose Thuet for the fabulous ambiance as well as French food.

While we were pondering over the menu and wine list we enjoyed some sparkling water as well as Thuet Bakery bread...
My mom and I shared a bottle of white - Pinot Gris Leon Beyer
My dad and Jay shared a bottle of red - Mas La Chevaliere Laroche
Appetizers ....

Mom had Ontario garden pea froth with lobster, ravioli of foie gras + bone marrow, cherry emulsion. It was so delicate, velvety and delicious, an excellent choice.
She decided on soup because she got braces two days ago and is still getting used to them... chewing is a whole new experience for her :), she likes her food to be soft or liquid, and so she tore some bread up and put it in her soup.
I decided on Warm salad of oxtail studded diver sea scallops, B.C. spotted shrimp,caviar emulsion, Live Forever Leaf garnish. I suppose the kitchen was out of shrimp that day, because that's a lobster claw on top of my scallop. This dish was so tasty, especially the sauce.
Jason and dad decided to share the Chef's house cured selection of charcuterie (serves two persons) which was served with mustard, mini pickled onions, and beet marinated eggs. All you see on the board is made by the kitchen, and it is quite a study in meat, it included products from pork, beef, venison, and rabbit. They had no problem polishing it off, obviously an enjoyable tasting.
Our appetizer was followed by a complimentary dish from the Chef : Hand cut organic pappardelle, ragoût of Perth County rabbit, whelk, tarragon shoot emulsion. I actually took this picture after I started to cut my pappardelle up, so just try to imagine one long, wide piece of pasta neatly rolled and placed in the center of my plate. All of us polished off our plates, even my dad who said he does not like rabbit :)
Next came our mains

Mom had Birch syrup glazed wild Cooper River sockeye salmon with a duxelle soubise, méli-mélo of Ontario asparagus, white berry and mint emulsion. Oh my, the salmon was unreal in color and flavor... fabulous
I had the West coast slow roasted halibut wrapped with chef's Berkshire pork loin, heirloom tomato purée, sea urchin emulsion, cacao + saffron butter foam. The pork added a nice salty dimension to my fish... I loved the sauces as well..
Jay decided on Trio of whey fed Perth County porcelet, ragoût of baby leek and artichokes, chanterelles mushrooms, Cidre des Neige emulsion. I tasted his dish, the meat was very tender...
My dad decided to have the night's special, which was a 12oz veal chop with squash stuffed with ratatouille, tomato and watercress salad, and an accompanying jus
I didn't taste it but it looked really good, and he loved it...
We all shared a bowl of frites with our mains, but mostly ordered it for my dad who as a Polish man feels incomplete without a potato for dinner.. they were hot, crispy, and salty
Dessert time...
dad had coffee, Jay a cappuccino and Mom and I decided on some green tea...
Mom and Jay had White chocolate mousse with Ontario rhubarb coulis, passion fruit foam. The mousse was so smooth and thick, the passion fruit foam wasn't foamy at all but it was very delicious, it had the consistency of kisiel..
I had Praline croustillant, organic lemon cream, cherry coulis... yummy, nuttty, perfect finish to my meal
Dad had the best presentation of all. For dessert he enjoyed Profiteroles, vanilla ice cream,warm Soma chocolate sauce..
It was a great night, and one fabulous dinner.

No comments: