Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Jay and Lucy's first annual Holiday Special, Sunday Nov. 30th, 2008

Jay and I lead a complicated, incompatible life… meaning we have a hard time matching up our schedules and spending time with each other not to mention our families and friends…

And so we decided to make time, and have a sort of impromptu (in case it was a big flop) Holiday meal… Our place is tiny, and after some careful calculations and furniture rearrangements we figured out that we could comfortably fit 8 people in our place (including the two of us)… In not so distant future we will most likely move again, and one of my top priorities will be to have a bigger dining room (well to have a dining room period) because well… the more, the louder, the merrier… and I wish we could have extended a few more invitations…

Our table set up… it's actually two small tables put together… we had them specially made for our kitchen counter.. I think I did a pretty good job in the seat arrangement..
My chair.. it's too low for the kitchen counter.. without the stack of pillows all you'd be able to see is my shoulders and head… and even with the stack I sort of kneeled on them to be eye level with everyone else :)
and now for the main event… the dinner
It was an equal collaboration between Jay and I… the menu took us several days to figure out… there were constant changes, to ensure we please all the different palates …
To start Jay's corn chowder with a crab cake…. I really love crab…
and for the main...

rolled fillets of sole with carrot and beet sauce, topped with toasted almonds… this dish was specifically made with Kinga in mind who is a vegetarian.. we hope she enjoyed it…
beef tenderloin with roasted mushrooms and cipollini onions… Jay cooked the meat to perfect doneness to ensure everyone was pleased.. the loin was tender and juicy… and there were no leftovers...
for the veggies… French beans with buttered shallots, double baked three cheese stuffed potatoes, and tomatoes stuffed with my carrots and peas..
my plate, which looked just like everyone else's plate (a bit of everything)… portion control what??? :)
for dessert I whipped up a layered pumpkin and milk chocolate mousse cake with apple and vanilla bean sauce… this is decadence… one of my favorite chocolate desserts…
on top of all that there were drinks prior, during, and after dinner… a blueberry martini, beer with orange slices, and plenty of wine…
the evening was so great… lots of laughs…

one thing that was a bit off was me… I managed to break three things that day: a vase, a bottle of beer, and during dinner one of our pretty wine glasses (almost took out Magda with that one). The tiny country superstitious part of me sees that as a good thing, since breaking glass blocks off any bad luck, but the rational, logical part knows I'm just butter fingers…

No comments: