Sunday, February 4, 2007

Winterlicious 2007: Mistura

Last night Jay and I went out for our second winterlicious dinner this year to Mistura. The only way I can describe our dinner is "OH MY GOD... OH MY GOD.... OH MY GOD..." It was unbelievable... the most incredible and delicious dinner I think to date.. and we've been to some swanky places..

I knew it was going to be good just by their bread basket. It had beautiful cheese-sticks, flatbread and mini baguette... and the dip wasn't butter it was made from black olives.. mmmm.. Anyone who takes the time to make the breadbasket an experience, couldn't possibly disappoint with the rest of the meal... and I was right...

We showed up just before 7, the place was already packed. Got this awesome table right next to the bar, which offered us maximum privacy and excellent view of the front door. They had a gentleman sitting playing guitar not far from us, perfect setting for a perfect dinner. Our waitress turned out to be someone who worked with Jay at Jump... too funny. We stared of with a drink.. Jay a Godfather (scotch and amaretto) it was very nice, and me with a a perfect Cosmo.. Since Jay likes red wine and I prefer white we each had a glass of our choice with our main course.. The service was very prompt and efficient.. flawless for a restaurant that was super busy...

And now for the dinner part...

Mistura's Winterlicious Menu:

APPETIZER:


SCAROLA & PANELLA Escarole lettuce, chick pea crostino, olives & oven dried tomatoes, oil & vinegar dressing
or

ZEMINO DI CECI
Genovese style chick pea soup
or

RISOTTO ROSSO
The classic red beet risotto with beet greens & roasted garlic
or

INSALATA DI POLIPO
Sliced baby octopus, potato, arugala, lemon, capers

MAIN:

ARISTA DI MAIALE AFFUMICATA Smoked pork chop roast with lentils & Savoy cabbage sauté
or

CACIUCCO
Tuscan style fish soup with squid, mussels, clams, shrimp, crab, fish filet
or

POLLO ALLA FIORENTINA
Florentine style fried chicken with slow cooked vegetables and salsa verde
or

PESCE ARROSTO
Roasted sea bass filet, sautéed rapini, fresh herbs cannellini beans dressing

DESSERT:


CRÈME BRULEE
or

TORTA AL CIOCCOLATO
Chocolate torte with hazelnut cream
or

TORTA DI LIMONE
Lemon torte
or

TORTA DI FORMAGGIO
Gorgonzola & Mascarpone, Mostarda di Cremona and walnut bread

Jay started with the octopus and I with the risotto. The octopus was divine, so tender and flavorful. The risotto, everything I wanted, dark purple, a bit sweet and savory at the same time.. the right consistency, with this delicate beet flavor... mmmm. Presentation of both courses was simple... pure perfection.

For the main Jay went with the pork chop and I with the sea bass. The pork chop was massive, I had a hard time believing that this meal was costing us $35 each.. and the taste... wow melt in your mouth, it was delicate and flavorful and lick your plate good. The same for the sea bass. I'm not a fan or rapini but I ate every last bit, it was so good. There was nothing left on our plates.

And we finished with chocolate torte for Jay and a lemon one for me. The chocolate torte was layered with hazelnut cream, served with some toasted nuts (I think they were hazelnuts...lol) in a pool of milk chocolate and dark chocolate sauce.. very sumptuous... Jay was in heaven. My lemon torte was served with I want to say lemon curd sauce and strawberry sauce.. it was delicate and lemony and I didn't want it to end...

We finished with a cappuccino and an espresso... I was more than satisfied.

After our dinner the Chef himself Massimo Capra stopped by our table and Jay and him discussed the perfect aging of meat... men and their trade... it never stops... :)

Mistura has a little lounge upstairs named Sopra which opened this past August. Well they're doing winterlicious as well with a different menu. We have reservations for dinner there for this Wednesday... I can't wait...

No comments: