Friday, February 9, 2007

Winterlicious 2007: Sopra

So this past Wednesday we went to Sopra for dinner... it was just as wonderful as Mistura... well almost... hahahahaha

The place itself is beautiful, very cozy and welcoming. The arrangement of the tables has been well thought out, giving each diner a nice view of the stage.

When we booked our reservations we were under the impression that the menu for Sopra is different form the one for Mistura, however we were wrong, the menu was the same. We were very glad because we really wanted to taste the second half.

So first things first, the bread basket.... Not up to my expectations, because it was served with butter, but the basket contained 2 freshly made biscuits along with white baguette... forgivable...

Pre-dinner drinks of course.. martinis... I had their Ice Wine Martini.. it was very good ... strong... lately I've been craving more bold drinks, I wasn't disappointed. I can't remember Jay's but it tasted like candy.. he enjoyed it...

So to start I had the escarole salad and Jay went with the risotto. The salad was wonderful, perfect crisp fresh lettuce, the tomatoes burst in your mouth, and the crostino was tasty and interesting. The risotto while technically the same was more strongly seasoned and not quite as strong in beet flavor as mine was a couple days ago. For the main Jay had the chicken and I had the fish soup.... and OH WOW.. the chicken portion absolutely huge.. 2 pieces.. i think it was half the bird.. perfectly fried.. the coating crisp and not at all oily.. the meat tender and delicious.. their salsa verde was very good as well... My soup was very nice, served with a slice of grilled focaccia... more than enough seafood, and the broth itself very rich and satisfying.. of course we had our respective red and white glass of wine with dinner... And for dessert I had the creme brulee and Jason couldn't resist the chocolate cake once again.. well since I've already talked about the chocolate cake in my previous post let me concentrate on the brulee because it's worth talking about.. most place serve their brulee in a typical round ramekin... at Sopra my brulee came in a shallow square dish.. lots of bruleed surface... it had some blueberries on top.. the crust was thin and cracked very easily the creme was divine... soft, velvety, creamy, tasty... mmmmmm... delicious... I never order brulee in restaurants because I'm afraid that either it will be too runny or too firm.. but this, this was heaven...

Now to mention the service.. very attentive.. maybe a bit too much mother henish.. but we didn't mind that much... Oh and let me mention that at 7 a pianist took the stage and we had wonderful live music..

I think Mistura and Sopra are our new places... both experiences were worth the time and money... :)

No comments: