Monday, August 27, 2007

Miami Day 2: Aug. 21st

Today we woke up super early, so early in fact we watched the sunrise while having breakfast at the News Cafe patio. The reason for being such early birds is because today we 're driving to Key West for some key lime pie on the stick, and it is a long drive 4-5h.For breakfast we had cafe con leche, a Cuban style coffee. It was delicious. We also had some eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes and toast, but I was busy eating and did not take a picture.
Before we set of, we did a quick detour to the beach... just to feel the sand between our toes...
my big foot print....
I found a sea urchin... I think it was on the beach a bit too long... but I still pushed it back into the ocean...
sooo quiet...
The day we arrived auditions for the next American Idol were being held in the American Airlines center not far off... this car was parked in a parking lot adjacent to our hotel...
and we're off.... downtown Miami
we've entered the Keys...
the seven mile bridge...
a tree growing out of the adjacent abandoned bridge.....
trailer park....
some birds hanging out on the rocks...
wow talk about cheap....
and we've arrived... this is the house of the first American millionaire...
we didn't go... but how very interesting...
post office...
For lunch we went to B.O.'s Fish Wagon for a fish sandwich... this place sure was unique... and the sandwiches delicious...
Jay had a soft shell crab sandwich....
I had a grouper sandwich....
maybe the parrot is here for a sandwich as well...
Key west pier...
random street shots...
and here we are, the reason for the whole trip.... not as good as I hoped... but at least now I've tasted...
Hemingway's house... we didn't tour it... I wasn't interested...
Key West lighthouse..
some pretty flowers
pretty self explanatory...
a message to the hurricane which on this day was ravaging Jamaica...
Key West is very proud...
I learned something today...
not quite sure what this is all about...
I just like his hat...
making fudge...
cruise boat... they are soooo big...
shell store... I'm amazed there are any left on the shore...
alligator heads... gross...
sea sponge store...
sea sponge monster...
little Swiss store...
a very popular name it seems :)
this place supposedly has the biggest selection of rum... so we went in for a drink... I also photographed their rum closet...
This guy's trick was telling the cats not to eat the chicken...
what a pretty cactus...
hand rolled cigars anyone?
We went for dinner to Jamaica Me Hungry... fried plantains for appetizer... jerk chicken and pulled pork sandwiches to go... we didn't want to miss the sunset...
I just liked these two signs...

No comments: