Tuesday, March 4, 2008

It's in the citrus family but it's not an orange…

it looks like one though; a very sizeable orange. Danny at the Harvest Wagon refers to it as the Mexican Fruit Salad… I think it's a Minneola Tangelo, a hybrid between a grapefruit and a tangerine (or that's what my Google research led me to conclude).
The peel wasn't very thick and it comes off very easily. The oils in the peel did smell very orangey.
The fruit itself isn't supposed to have a lot of seeds, I guess I lucked out. It is extremely juicy and sweet. The pulp… well it was amazing…. to me it had the delicate taste of a white doughnut (UFO) peach, not citrusy at all. It's the pith that gave it that grapefruity aftertaste, kind of tangy and bitter but not as profound as in a regular grapefruit.
I couldn't get enough, this fruit is addictive. Too bad that it's has a very short (supposedly only 4 week harvest) in January-February. It'll be over too soon.

No comments: